February 28, 2008

Right place-Right time

Tonight was pretty interesting... here's an excerpt from an email I just sent to a friend (after telling her that her puppy is doing well... [we're puppy-sitting her dog, Maya, this week and Maya and Chloe are having fun adventures in our home!])...

So... the reason I'm glad I went to class tonight (as opposed to Tuesday when I skipped then and almost skipped tonight)... it was a scary ride home. I was coming from Marshall High School out near Tysons far down Route 7 and was just about to approach the intersection at Seven Corners by the Koons Ford dealership when I was approaching a light. The light ahead turned green and I was in the right-hand lane when I saw cars ahead of me passing a car stopped in front of them... I got up to that car and got frustrated (as most DC drivers do) and lightly beeped... I finally was going to go around the car when I looked inside and saw an elderly woman who looked to be passed out. :( I got nervous and pulled ahead of her and put on my hazards. I went to her window and she opened her eyes when I knocked on it... I asked her if she could roll it down and when she did I asked if she was ok. She said slowly, "not really" (her nose was runny and she looked to be sweating) so I was already planning to call 911 but I first asked if there was someone she wanted me to call... she said her son. I asked his name and she said, Daniel. I asked if she knew his number but she couldn't remember. I then called 911-it was Fairfax that answered I think (they took forever as they couldn't determine if it was their jurisdiction based on the cross-streets I gave... VERY frustrating!). Finally they transferred me to Arlington 911 and they sent an ambulance and fire truck (within 5 minutes they arrived). During the wait, I reached inside her window and turned on her hazards then I asked if I could sit in her car with her -she said yes. I got inside and was talking to her and managed to learn that she was from Falls church, but couldn't remember where she was coming from - she was on her way home though. I got more info on her son, Daniel, and found out he lived in Falls Church as well so I called 411 (after getting his and her last name). His wife answered (and initially sounded leary when I called and asked for her husband... she asked who was calling). I told her my name and asked if Daniel's mother's name was Kathleen... she said yes and I proceeded to tell her that I was with her mother-in-law on the side of the road (at this time was when the ambulance and fire truck arrived). She got worried when I explained the situation and then she told me that her mother-in-law was diabetic and might be in diabetic shock - I relayed that to the paramedics. From there on it was all in their hands, but I was really shakey. I'm SO glad I stopped... I have no idea how many other cars passed this poor woman, but I almost did the same, so I'm glad I looked when I passed and actually stopped. I'm still a bit shakey actually... *sigh* I almost didn't go to class tonight, but I guess it was meant to be though. You know what's funny? I always wanted to go into medicine and tonight might prompt me to look further into it. I felt good when I left and knew that Kathleen was getting help. I thought about my grandma, nana and pop-pop... it made me sad that I didn't have or spend much time with them as they got older and I got too involved in my own life, but I hope that tonight helped Kathleen's son Daniel and their family get some more time with their sweet mother. She was a really sweet woman. :)

Needless to say, I'm pretty tired... it was a bit of an exhausting evening. Makes me wonder if there are reasons why we are in certain places at certain times. Hmm...

No comments: